Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Am I Raising My Kids Right?

As a stay at home dad I have had a thought that just won't go away.

Am I doing the right things so my kids will be the best they can be?

In this posting, I will take a look at the worries I had about being a Stay-At-Home Dad raising a little girl.

Let's start with a little background on me.

I am not a flowery person. I am not into dresses, makeup, Barbie, My Little Ponies, or anything like that.
My favorite color is NOT pink
I was as rough and tumble with my daughter, as I am with my son. I would throw her on the bed, toss her in the air, pick her up by the straps of her overalls, (This works! And gets great looks from moms out there.) and tickle her until I was sure she was going to either puke, or pee.
But I do like human contact, and will give my wife a hug and kiss whenever possible. (She's my wife, and I kinda like her.)

So how my daughter became the little girlie girl she is, must have been beyond my control.
She likes Barbie, My Little Ponies, Littlest Pet Shop, and all the other toys. She will wear a dress when the weather is cold and rainy. But then, she won't get her face wet in the pool when swimming.

A couple odd examples:

My daughter never had the "Fear of Strangers" stage. Okay, she did.
But only for about a week.

She would talk to anyone. Give the business women out to lunch a kiss on the cheek when we went out. (at about 2years old)

While at a sandwich shop, she walked up to every table along a wall and introduced herself.

If we were out shopping, we would turn around to find her walking away from us with a different family.

If we started talking to anyone, she would jump into the conversation and say "Hi, my name's Princess, and this is my daddy, Chuckles.
This got slightly embarrassing after everyone at McDonalds knew my name.

Here are some bad examples:
And some might be my fault, I spoiled my daughter. (She was cute!)

She will whine about the food you give her.

She will ask me for candy, and when I say no, go across the room to ask her mother.
Yes she did this. Wife and I were five feet apart.

I caught her sneaking candy out of the kitchen. (Yes dear, the wrappers make noise.)

At age three, walking through the mall, she says her feet hurt and doesn't want to walk anymore. Until you pick her up and carry her.

Starts crying when you tell her "no". About almost anything.

Poured water on her nightstand lamp. Straight on the light bulb.
The flickering lights gave her away. Along with the sound of electricity grounding out. And that smell when something electrical shorts out.

But then there are the good examples:

While at a park, we saw a little girl, slightly younger than Princess, trip while walking down a hill. Without being asked, Princess walked quickly over to the little girl and helped her up, then asked if she was alright. (Awwwwww.)

She will help with her little brother.

She will help little kids at a playground or at a friend's house.

But she is also the biggest Drama Queen, I have ever seen.

So, I have seen my little girl be her best by helping others, and at her worst when she doesn't get her way.

So I guess I will take the good with the bad. Hope for the best. Then do my darnedest to try and show her the best path to take.
With either a little nudge, a time out in her room, or let her enjoy the consequence, good or bad.

And I know that she is now, only eight.

The worst is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment