Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Legacy

I know that life is short.
I am trying to enjoy every minute of it.
I go to movies as much as possible.
I stay up late to play games, talk with friends, or catch up on the television shows I missed during the day.
I kiss my wife as often as I can.
I love on my children as much as I can.
After all. They are my legacy.

I am not going to kid myself into thinking that my name will be whispered with reverence in every home for a hundred years.  My name will not be associated with some political movement.
My name will go beside the guy who invented The Clapper.

Come on.  Name him.  I dare you.

I might do something good with my life that someone will look back and say.
"You remember the guy who did that thing that one time? That was great."
but probably not.

What I am going to do is this.

I am going to teach my kids the difference between right and wrong.
I am going to show them that no matter what they decide to do with their lives, I will love them the same.
No matter what.
I will be a part of their lives for as long as they will let me.
I will secretly go behind their backs and make sure that the boogyman is not under their beds.
I will let them know what I think. Even if it is not what they want to hear.
I am going to let them know that it is okay to laugh, yell, cry, or scream. Even if you want to do all of those at the same time.
I will show them that I will do whatever it takes to help them. Or protect them.

I am sure I will do many other things that I have not mentioned here.
But the basics are the same.

Love them. Protect them. Let them know it.

I will help them be the very best.
As long as they remember me, and that I love them. That's fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment