Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I Don't Want to Grow Up

I don't want to grow up.  That is the crux of what I am.
Then come the comments. "You have a job!" "You have kids!" "You're married!"
House, car, monthly payments! Yes! I agree! I am a Grown UP, an adult, over thirty, whatever you want to call it.

But I don't want to grow up!  I want to play with my kids like I am their age.
I want to have my video games and comic books. I want to watch that stupid movie with my friends.
I like sneaking out and watching TV until 2am.
Then I will see if I can sneak into bed without my wife waking up. (she catches me every time)
I want to laugh like I don't have a care in the world.

I don't want to be the guy, who at the end of his life said, "I wish I had done.....more."
I don't want to be the boring dad that the kids don't want around their friends.
I only want to embarrass the kids when I want to. Not just because I am there.
I want my kid's friends to be happy I am there.

I it a lot to ask?  Probably.  but here I am asking anyway.
I am getting older.  That is just a fact. Nothing I can do about it.
The other option is not one I really want to try right now. Or ever really.
But I am sure I can wait for as long as I need to. (The Reaper can wait)

I want to be a kid when my kids have kids.
I don't want to be the grandpa that the kids have to be careful around.
I want to run and play with them. Or at least not be left too far behind.

But I will always keep in mind the saying, "Young at heart"
But if you live by "You are only as young as you feel", then you can have some very crappy days even if you are 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment