Saturday, August 1, 2009

Paintball Fever

I get to go paintball!

The wife looks at me with that "Yes dear. You get to go play with your friends" look.

I got "new to me" camo pants and jacket. Got a new Co2 tank and got my current one filled.
Got a half case of balls and plan to shoot them all.

Met up with my manager at Dick's Sporting Goods to get the Co2.

Nothing like seeing three guys come in the store wearing camo gear. Trailing two kids behind them.
The greeter jokingly said "I didn't know there was an Overland Park Militia."
I told her we had a low budget and could only afford paintball guns.

Drive back home. Drop Monkey off at neighbors. Wait for Grandma to take Princess to lunch.
Ok. Bye!

Freedom!!!!!

Field isn't far from home. I have packed water, granola bars, and a stool to sit on.
Too bad Nature Boy couldn't make it. Gotta ask some of the other SAHD's if they want to join us.

We are maybe a hundred yards off the road. Can only hear the occasional car.
We get everything ready. Show off our guns. Take a few practice shots.

Ok. Split up into teams. Only six of us total. Three on three.
Ready! We holler.

Game ON.

I see movement straight ahead. Fire a few shots.
I feel the first hit of the day. Inside left thigh.
HIT!! I holler. Look down. The ball didn't break.

Walk off the field.

Game ends soon.

We talk a few minutes. A beer is passed around.
Different game. Free-for-all / Capture.
One hit. Wait to be tagged. Now you're on his team.
Second hit. You're out.

Everyone splits up.

READY!!! GAME ON.

Swing to my right. See movement away from me. Follow him.
Hear shooting. Creep closer. Hear a hit. See the fallen. Wait.

Shooter comes to tag. Aim. Now.
Shots from the other side. Crossfire.
One hollers out. Walks off field.
Other out. Kneels down. Movement on other side. Getting closer.

Forty feet. Still shooting.
Thirty feet. Holy crap those are hitting close!
Peek out. He's 15 feet away.
I hear footsteps towards me. He comes around the tree running and firing.
I get off about six shots. Two find their mark.

I tag both. Two others out there. They don't stand a chance.
I got the two best with me. I'm just a little rusty, out of shape.
Got you didn't I?

Game over. Last one standing.

A few games of two-on-two-on-two.

Creeping through the trees. (pop pop pop.) Take cover.
I see them. Going to that bigger tree.
Run run run. Vision turns yellow. I got hit. Crap.

Time's up. Gotta get the kids.
Back to reality.

I am going to hurt tomorrow.

It feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment